This Mother's Day...


This weekend, we celebrate Mother's Day - a beautiful, wonderful day set aside each year to recognize the impact women have had in our lives. Maybe it's your mother, your aunt, your sister, your best friend, your own daughter, your teacher, your grandmother... the special women in your life.
But for a few minutes on Sunday, many of us will find a quiet place to just let our hearts ache for a little bit before we go back to join the festivities. It's not because we aren't happy or we are ungrateful... it's because for many of us, our heart is aching for our own mothers. We see mothers and daughters or mothers and sons everywhere, all year long. We smile, because it reminds us of the beauty of those moments we had with our mothers. And then often, we go home and cry for the loss of what we had.
I am beyond grateful for my mother-in-law, one of the most incredible women I have ever met. She's amazing and I love her more than words can say. And yet, sometimes I get this twinge of jealousy for all the special moments she has with my kiddos because I know my mama would have loved that, too.
So on behalf of motherless daughters/sons across the world, I ask you to do one thing this weekend: make it count.
We all appreciate our moms or mother figures in our lives, and the cards and flowers are wonderful. But really, really make this one count. Don't just sign a card - write a very specific memory of something special your mama (or mom-figure) did for you in your life and tell them the difference that it made.
Send a note to your mother-in-law or your best friend and tell them thank you for the void they have helped to fill in your heart.
Take a bunch of pictures and post them here for your friends to see, because I do want to see them. I want to share in your joy of the day. I want to smile because you have this glorious opportunity to make it the best day you've ever had with her. I will be scrolling through, praying to God that you get 100 more years to celebrate mother's day in your mom's arms and be surrounded by your kiddos.
And if by chance you have a friend whose mom is gone, maybe take a moment - not necessarily Sunday, but any day this year - and tell them a story about how they remind you of their mom. I promise you, that will go further than an entire yard of flowers ever could.
To everyone celebrating Mother's Day this weekend, may it be the best! Until next year, and then may that one be even better ❤ Love every single moment you have your mom with you to celebrate because even if you live 100 years, it's never enough time to hug her.

Comments

Popular Posts