Sometimes Unplanned is Best...

Sometimes the best trips are the ones you don't spend months planning.

When Jaime realized he had a couple of days off, we decided on a whim to head to Galena, Illinois, for a quick two-day getaway. I'd always heard people rave about Galena, especially my parents, who absolutely loved visiting there. Somehow, though, I'd never made the trip myself.

Now I completely understand why they kept going back.

The moment we arrived, it felt like we'd stepped into another era. Historic brick buildings line the streets, locally owned shops invite you inside every few steps, and the rolling hills make you forget you're still in Illinois. It's one of those towns where you naturally slow down, wander a little longer, and enjoy every corner. And did you know parts of the movie Field of Dreams were filmed there? So cool to see, as it's one of my favorite movies.


We packed an incredible amount into just two days.

Our first adventure was hopping aboard the Galena Trolley Tour. I always love learning the history behind a place, and the tour was the perfect introduction to the town. We drove past beautiful historic homes, learned about Galena's fascinating past, and heard stories that made us appreciate the town even more. I had no idea President Ulysses S. Grant was from Galena - and one stop I especially wanted to see was his home. Walking through the preserved home of our 18th president gave us such a neat glimpse into both his life and the history of Galena itself.


Of course, I couldn't leave without a little adventure.

We spent part of the day at Chestnut Mountain Resort, where we rode the ski lift high above the Mississippi River valley. The views alone were worth the trip, but the real excitement came from racing down the Alpine Slide. It was one of those activities that makes you laugh the entire way down. We also watched people soar through the air on the Soaring Eagle zip ride, which Jaime ended up doing. Alone. Because I'm a giant chicken, lol.

To slow things back down, we boarded an American Lady Cruise for a relaxing ride along the Mississippi River. It was the perfect way to spend an afternoon. Sitting on the water while taking in the scenery gave us a completely different perspective of the area. And of course, there was more history, which was my favorite part.

And then there was the food.

We enjoyed lunch at the historic DeSoto House Hotel, had an incredible dinner at Fried Green Tomatoes (which absolutely lived up to the hype and is somewhere my parents ate once upon a time), and stopped by Blaum Brothers Distilling Co. to sample some of their spirits and have a light lunch before we headed home.


One of my favorite parts of the trip, though, was simply wandering Main Street. There are so many unique boutiques, antique stores, candy shops, bookstores, and little hidden gems that you could easily spend an entire day just exploring. Every storefront seemed to have something different waiting inside.

Our stay at the Cloran Mansion Bed & Breakfast made the trip even more memorable. We stayed in the Ann Room, and it felt like stepping back in time - in the best possible way. The historic mansion is full of character, beautifully decorated, and made for such a relaxing home base after long days of exploring.


For a trip we planned almost at the last minute, it turned out to be exactly what we needed. Just two days away from everyday life, filled with history, beautiful scenery, great food, and a little adventure.

If you've never been to Galena, consider this your sign to go. Whether you're looking for a romantic weekend, a girls' trip, or simply a change of scenery, this little town has so much more to offer than I ever expected.

I know one thing for sure - it definitely won't be my last visit.

And can we get a moment of appreciation for the beautiful H&M floral dress I picked up thrifting that is the thing fancy, pretty dreams are made of? I totally felt like a princess in this!


Comments

Popular Posts