The Best Love Stories Aren't Perfect


It's almost Hallmark Christmas movie season, which means many of us will happily spend the next few months watching one romantic story after another - meet-cutes, snow-covered small towns, holiday magic, and seemingly perfect relationships.

But my favorite stories have never been the perfect ones.

They're the ones where people mess up. Where relationships crack under the weight of real life. Where there are misunderstandings, arguments, tears, and moments when walking away might seem easier than staying.

Because that's a little more realistic.

The best love stories aren't perfect. They're filled with imperfect people who disappoint each other, disagree, and go through difficult seasons - but keep choosing each other anyway.

I think that's what love and commitment really are: not finding someone who never changes, but deciding, over and over again, that the life you've built together is worth fighting for.

J and I have been together for 24 years, and sometimes I ponder something that probably sounds strange.

If we met today, I'm not sure we'd date.

Over the years we've grown, changed, and evolved. Some of our interests are completely different now. Some of our beliefs have shifted. We've become different versions of the people we were when we first fell in love.

If we were two strangers meeting for coffee today, would we choose each other?

Honestly... I don't know.

But maybe that's the wrong question.

Because the truth is, we did choose each other. Twenty-four years ago. And we've continued choosing each other through all the versions we've become since then.

We've argued. We've disappointed one another. We've had seasons that weren't easy. We've celebrated incredible highs and survived difficult lows.

And after all of it, we still wake up each day and choose us.

As a romance writer, people have asked whether I believe in soulmates, one true love, or whether we can love more than one person in a lifetime.

The truth is, I've believed all three at different stages of my life.

When I was younger, I was convinced there was one perfect person out there waiting for me.

But life has a funny way of changing what you believe.

I've watched relationships begin, end, heal, and start over. I've watched people lose the loves of their lives and somehow find joy again years later. I've seen marriages that looked perfect fall apart and relationships that everyone doubted grow into something extraordinary.

I've come to believe that the human heart is capable of loving more than once.

That doesn't make any of those loves less real.

It simply means we aren't meant to stop living when one chapter ends.

That's why I always remind my kids that if a relationship doesn't last forever, it doesn't mean they failed. It doesn't mean they'll never love again.

The person you loved at 18 isn't necessarily the person you'll need at 25, 36, or 42.

People grow.

Dreams change.

Life reshapes us.

Sometimes the people we loved become beautiful memories instead of lifelong companions. And that's okay. Those relationships still mattered. They helped make us who we are.

Maybe that's what we've misunderstood about love all along.

We expect it to stay exactly as it was in the beginning - to keep the same excitement, the same butterflies, the same spark.

But love is the butterfly.

It isn't the caterpillar it once was, and it isn't meant to be. It changes, transforms, and becomes something entirely new. Less fragile. More resilient. More beautiful because of every stage it had to survive to get there.

Maybe that's why the best love stories aren't perfect.

They're the ones that keep evolving.

The ones where two imperfect people continue choosing each other, even as they become different people than they were when they first met.

Because maybe the greatest love story isn't finding someone who never changes.

Maybe it's loving someone enough to grow through every transformation together.

Comments

Popular Posts