Compromise Vs. Surrender…

I was reading one of the many novels sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read (which I won’t name because I refuse to spoil plot points), and somewhere around halfway through, a thought hit me.

If I had read this book in my teens or twenties, I would have thought the male main character was completely selfish.

He wants a life away from his hometown. He doesn’t want children. He doesn’t want to spend decades working a job he hated just to build a life that didn’t feel like his own.

That’s might seem like a harsh way to summarize him, I know. But it's the truth of his character.

And my, how differently I see things now as a 46-year-old woman who has had her heart broken, made impulsive decisions, loved deeply, lost deeply, and occasionally been selfish herself.

Because knowing who you are doesn’t make you selfish.

It makes you honest.

Recently, I learned that someone I once loved very much - someone I imagined building a future with - never saw his future with children in it.

I wish I had known that back then, because maybe it would have softened the heartbreak a little. Or maybe I would have been a little more understanding. Although if I’m being honest, my twenty-something self probably still would have been devastated and angry and all the things. At that age, I would never have been able to fully understand how someone could love me… and still not want the same future I wanted.

There was also a brief moment in time when our paths could have become permanently intertwined in a way neither of us had planned for. I remember sitting with that possibility quietly by myself, imagining how differently things might unfold if the universe decided to rewrite both of our stories overnight.

But life has a way of making certain decisions for you before you’re ready to make them yourself, whether you like that decision or not.

Looking back now, I think he would have tried very hard to step into a life that never truly fit him. And I think I would have spent years trying to convince myself that effort alone could bridge the gap between two people who wanted fundamentally different things.

Instead, life unfolded the way it did.

And strangely enough, with enough years and enough perspective, I can finally see the mercy in that.

Do I believe he loved me?

Absolutely.

Do I believe I loved him?

Absolutely.

But continuing that relationship would have eventually hurt us both.

Could he have given up his vision of a child-free life for me? Maybe. But somewhere along the way, I think resentment would have quietly crept in.

Could I have given up having children for him? Maybe. But I know, without question, I would have eventually resented that, too.

And that’s the thing nobody tells you when you’re young: love alone is not always enough. And expecting another human to drastically change who they are is selfish.

There’s a difference between compromise and surrender.

Compromise is choosing the house with two bathrooms instead of three. It’s deciding whose family you spend Christmas with or whether you move to a different city.

But when the compromise changes the entire shape of someone’s future - when it asks a person to become someone fundamentally different than who they are - that isn’t compromise anymore.

And it’s not selfish to recognize exactly who you are and be okay with that. I can tell you that halfway through this book, this character is going to change the entirety of his future for the sake of love, which is great for romance novel - but not so much for the real world. Twenty-year-old me would have been like “yeah, buy those roses and make the worst decision for your life” - but today I’m like, “dude, man up and go live your best life traveling the world.” Maybe it's the wisdom that comes with age, or maybe it's having kids and never wanting them to settle for anything less than what they dream of in life.

In fact, sometimes walking away is the most selfless thing you can do.

For a long time, I carried hurt over the idea that he didn’t choose me. But the older I get, the more I realize that maybe he did choose me in the only honest way he could. Because every time I look at my children, I know I got the future I was always meant to have.

And maybe he knew enough about himself not to stand in the way of that. Or at least I like to think that’s part of the reason we parted ways. Regardless, shoutout to him for not allowing us to go down the path of surrender and divorce and resentment!

We don’t always understand those choices when we’re young. Teenage hearts and twenty-something emotions tend to see love in absolutes: if you love someone enough, you stay. You sacrifice. You figure it out.

But adulthood teaches you something much harder: sometimes loving someone also means recognizing when your futures no longer fit together.

And maybe real maturity is learning not to villainize the people who were simply honest about who they were. Whatever the lesson, I just know I have more compassion for these romance novel characters after having lived a few decades, lol. 

My mom always said if you feel like a new door isn’t opening, it’s not the right door - keep knocking. The courage comes in being brave enough to walk into the unknown. 

Comments

Popular Posts