Old Town, New Art…
There’s something about the Old Town Art Fair that feels a little magical to me every year - which is why I can’t wait to be back there this Saturday!
For more than a decade, J and I (and sometimes a kiddo tagging along) have made the trip into Chicago for one of my favorite traditions - wandering through blocks filled with artists, writers, jewelers, photographers, painters, and creators who have poured pieces of themselves into their work. Add in the beautiful garden walks through Old Town and the energy of the Wells Street Art Fair, and it becomes one of those weekends that reminds me why creativity matters so much in the first place.
As someone who writes for a living - and spends a lot of time creating stories alone behind a screen - there’s something incredibly inspiring about being surrounded by people brave enough to share their art with the world. Every booth feels a little like opening a book for the first time. Every piece has a story behind it. A reason it was made. A person hoping someone else connects with it.
In a world filled with mass production, fast fashion, and algorithms telling us what we should like, there’s something refreshing about seeing truly original work. Imperfect in the best possible way. Human. Personal. One of one.
I think that’s why I love these fairs so much as an author. They remind me that creativity doesn’t have to be rushed to matter. That people still crave things made with intention. Things that feel real.
Sometimes we leave with a piece of jewelry or artwork. Sometimes just a good dinner and sore feet from walking all day. But I always leave creatively refilled.
And honestly, every writer needs that once in awhile.
So if you aren’s busy Saturday, consider taking a ride out to the city to see some incredible artists. It’s worth the price of parking!




Comments