Behind Closed Doors…
Checking back in with another song - this one has been sitting with me for a while (and yes, I just added it to my Suno). Here’s the back story behind it.
My best friend asked me the other day what I would do if I didn’t like the person my kiddo was dating. And honestly… I don’t know. (Thankfully, I do like her.)
But it got me thinking.
When you’re in a relationship that isn’t good for you, your parents don’t always know, right? You hide it. You protect it. Or maybe you protect them from worrying. I know I did.
And then there’s the other side of that coin - we hope our kids choose good people. But even more than that, we hope our kids are the kind of people others feel safe loving.
That thought sent me back to my college years. Back to choices I wish I’d made differently. Back to moments I didn’t fully understand at the time.
And took me back to the story behind this song.
I had just started dating someone. Everyone loved him. He was cute, popular, an athlete - effortlessly charming. Dark hair, dark eyes, and always a smile. I remember feeling so lucky that he picked me.
A few weeks in, we were at a party. I didn’t know many people, and I was tired. I asked if we could leave.
We were standing near a wall when he turned toward me and slammed his hand against it right next to my head, leaning in close enough that I could feel his breath. Quiet, controlled, angry, he said, “We leave when I say we can leave.”
And then just like that, he turned, smiled, greeted people walking up, laughing and doing the whole friendly bro-hug routine.
And I just stood there. Back against the wall. Frozen.
Who was this person? The mirage was shattered. He didn’t hit me that night. But it was the first time I remember feeling truly afraid. It was the first time his charm had disappeared - like he knew I was invested and he was free to change the cards. It was the first time someone I cared for had ever made me feel like I was in danger - and that running in the opposite direction would be worse. I had no idea how to react to that.
No one noticed. Or maybe they did. Maybe they didn’t think it mattered. Or worse - maybe they just didn’t think I mattered.
And still… I stayed. That night. And then months until he got tired of me.
Years later, his Facebook profile popped up as someone I might know. Smiling. Wife. Kids. A whole life.
And I wondered - did he change? Did he become better? Or is someone else standing where I once stood, learning to make themselves smaller?
I see mutual friends sometimes and wonder if they knew who he really was, or if they only ever saw the version he wanted them to see. To be fair, that’s all I’d ever known before we dated.
He was very good at hiding his temper from others.
I wonder if his parents knew what he was really like.
What’s hardest to admit is that before all of that, I used to believe that if someone ever treated me badly, I’d leave immediately. I thought I was stronger than that.
But I wasn’t.
I folded. I convinced myself he cared about me deep down. I told myself I was lucky he chose me. I believed I wasn’t worth anything better.
I even told myself I deserved it - for mistakes I’d made in past relationships.
That’s the part that stays with me the most.
So when I wrote this song, I wasn’t just thinking about that moment. I was thinking about the women we eventually become - the ones with hindsight, with clarity, with strength that only comes from living through things we once thought we couldn’t survive. I was thinking about all the women who forgot that they deserve to live and love without being scared of the person on the other end of that.
The ones who wish they could go back and protect their younger selves.
The song is upbeat on purpose. Because when you’re in those situations, there’s often this unspoken expectation to keep everything looking okay. To smile. To play along. To not make it “a big deal.”
But it’s also upbeat because of what comes after.
Because eventually, when you do get out - when you start to find your way back to yourself - there’s a kind of aliveness that returns. Slowly at first. And then all at once.
It took me a long time to let people back in. I didn’t like being touched. I didn’t talk about dating him. For years, I just pretended that period of time never happened.
But it did happen. And it broke me.
And pretending didn’t make me stronger - facing it did.
I think that’s the point of all of this.
Not just that we hope our kids choose good people. And not just that we hope they are good people.
But that we teach them - by what we say, by what we model, by what we’re brave enough to admit - that they should never feel like they have to earn love by shrinking themselves.
That feeling scared is enough reason to leave.
That being chosen is not the same as being valued.
And that their worth is never something someone else gets to decide.
If I could go back, I wouldn’t just tell my younger self to leave.
I’d tell her she was never lucky to be chosen.
I’d tell her she deserved to feel safe.
And maybe that’s why I write songs like this now.
Not because I can change the past - but because maybe someone else will hear it and realize they still can.
Behind Closed Doors
You can listen here: https://suno.com/s/HKaYyslg6uKdsi04
Hidden away from all of the flowers
Behind every closed door
Among the words no one else can hear
And where I land on the floor
Is a man that no one really knows
And I don’t know anymore
So different from the boy I fell in love with
From beyond a classroom door
The sleeves, they hide the bruises
And my smile hides the scars
So no one else can see the pain I feel
And no one knows our wars
And if anyone starts asking questions
He just charms them all away
But he’ll remind me of them later
When things don’t go his way
Go back, tell her: be brave
Worth so much more
She can walk away
Wrap my arms around her
Help her pack up everything
None of this is worth the price
Of hoping for a golden ring
Love shouldn’t feel like this
Everybody notices that she
Jumps at any touch
And a girl who used to hug her friends
Doesn’t hug them very much
Her eyes are always searching
But it isn’t for his love
She’s constantly deciding if
This time she’s had enough
Go back, tell her: be brave
Worth so much more
She can walk away
Wrap my arms around her
Help her pack up everything
None of this is worth the price
Of hoping for a golden ring
Love shouldn’t feel like this
Maybe it wasn’t love
Just something dressed like it
Every “I’m sorry” sounding sweet
Then turning into this
And maybe all the dreams she had
Were never his to keep
’Cause love is more than promises
That only make her bleed
Go back, tell her: be brave
Worth so much more
She can walk away
Wrap my arms around her
And say, “You’ll be okay”
None of this is worth the price
Of begging love to stay
Love shouldn’t feel like this
When she finally breaks free and runs
She leaves it all behind
She knows exactly what she’s leaving
But not what she will find
But for the first time in a while
She’s choosing her own life


Comments