The One Where They Went To New York…


This year, my daughter’s art class had the opportunity to take a trip to New York City for three days - and parents were invited to come along. Her dad and I didn’t hesitate. The chance to explore one of the most iconic cities in the world with her felt too special to pass up.


Our first day in New York was everything you’d hope for in a city adventure. We wandered through Central Park, took in the magic of The Lion King on Broadway, explored the Museum of Modern Art, and squeezed in some shopping along the way.


It was the perfect introduction - busy, exciting, and full of those “wow, we’re really here” moments. We loved seeing the fountain from “Friends” and seeing a Broadway show - very cool experiences  


Day two was packed from start to finish. We took the ferry out to the Statue of Liberty and climbed up to the base before heading back into the city.

I’ll be honest - the Statue of Liberty was a little smaller than I’d pictured it in my mind (although beautiful). It looks so massive in movies, and while it’s definitely big, it  didn’t feel as huge as I’d always imagined.


From there, we visited the 9/11 Museum and the reflection pools. That experience completely shifted the tone of the day. It was incredibly powerful and emotional - walking through history that we all remember watching unfold in real time. I found myself tearing up more than once. It was, without a doubt, the most impactful part of the trip.


Later, we lightened things up with some shopping and dinner at Puglia in Little Italy, where the night turned into a full celebration - music, laughter, and even dancing on chairs. We wrapped up the evening with breathtaking views from the One World Trade Observatory.

Even with wet and chilly weather, it was an unforgettable day exploring Manhattan.


On our final day, we attended Mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral before heading to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

I’ll admit - while the art museums were beautiful and impressive, they’re just not entirely my thing (Although as an art major, J loved every moment of those museums!). After about eight rooms of paintings, I was ready to tap out! Still, I’m glad I experienced them. I was really interested though in the Egyptian and Armour sections of The Met, because I’m a history nerd. I really loved walking through those.


What I really loved most was simply walking around the city. There’s something so cool about turning a corner and recognizing places you’ve only ever seen on TV - like scenes straight out of Law & Order. And one thing that genuinely surprised me? How clean Manhattan felt.


As much as we were ready to head home, it was hard to say goodbye. This trip was more than just sightseeing - it was time spent together, shared experiences, and memories we’ll always carry with us.


Traveling with my daughter and her art classmates made it even more special. I’m so grateful for the chance to be part of it.

New York gave us a little bit of everything - excitement, reflection, laughter, and connection - and I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything.

‘Fit check!



Comments

Popular Posts