A New Kind of Bucket List

I’ve had a few bucket lists in my life - travel, experiences, random “someday” ideas. But lately, I realized I’ve been building a different kind of list without even trying… a restaurant one.

For years, whenever I’m out and about, I’m pinning places on my phone like I’m some kind of low-key food scout. Add in my TikTok scrolling habits (and the many screenshots that come with it), and apparently I’ve been curating this list for a while now.

So instead of letting those pins and screenshots collect digital dust, I decided it’s time to actually do something about it.

Tomorrow, I’m officially kicking off my restaurant bucket list.

The plan? Over the next six months, I’m going to work my way through these spots and report back every now and then - what was amazing, what was overhyped, and what landed somewhere in between. And I'm going to do it with friends, some of whom provided restaurant ideas below based on amazing places in the cities they live.

And just to set expectations: you will not be getting late-night bar scene reviews from me. I am very much a 4 PM dinner-and-drinks kind of person these days, and I’m fully embracing it.

We’re starting things off tomorrow at Porter Cullen Pub in Evergreen Park - apparently formerly owned by a St. Laurence football guy (according to my favorite high school football coach, who used to coach there and who lives right near the restaurant). Honestly, that alone feels like a strong start. His wife is going to help me find the best place to take my daughter for her graduation trip next year while we all eat, so it's a win-win.

Here’s to a fun spring and summer of good food, new places, and finally checking off all those saved spots.

The List (No Particular Order… and hopefully still open because some of my pins are years old)

  • Porter Cullen Pub - Evergreen Park
  • The Dawson  - Chicago
  • Carnivale  - Chicago
  • The Barrel Club  - Oak Lawn
  • No Vacancy  - Chicago
  • Nobel House  - Glen Ellyn
  • The White Chocolate Grill  - Wheaton
  • Green Mill Cocktail Lounge  - Uptown
  • Touche French Creole  - Aurora
  • Phoenix Flame  - Rolling Meadows

Comments

Popular Posts