Funny How the World Works...
One day last winter, I walked into the flu vaccine clinic at my job. (If you know me, you know I hate having the flu and also hate throwing up, so I would take anything someone offered to prevent either of those things.)
“Oh, so you’re Allie,” a woman said as she checked me in.
She was really beautiful, about my age, with big, gorgeous eyes. I immediately started scrolling through the archives of my brain, trying to figure out who she might be.
“Hi, I’m sorry - do we know each other?” I asked. At this point, I may have been sweating. Her sweet smile could have been genuine - or maybe not - and this woman was about to drive a needle into my arm, so I felt a little uneasy.
“I’m AC’s wife,” she said. “I told him I was working here today, and he said I would probably see you.”
Well. That was a blast from the past.
A summer-after-graduation boyfriend I’d maybe spoken to once or twice since the start of college. One of the best people I’ve ever had the opportunity to know, quite honestly. I don't think the guy had ever been mean to anyone. He was funny, kind, thoughtful, a talented artist, handsome, loyal - and someone I shared some really special moments with.
And here was his beautiful wife, standing in front of me, and suddenly I was wondering what in the world she knew about me.
Because if you knew me in my teenage years, I was… a lot. Our relationship was a whirlwind. Our breakup was dramatic (because what breakup with me wasn’t dramatic - let’s be so for real). And sometimes I worry that people only remember the very worst versions of us.
“Oh boy,” I said. “It’s very nice to meet you.”
“Same,” she replied, shaking my hand. “AC has said a lot of nice things about you.”
We talked briefly - she asked for the dirt on him (I had none, he was just too good of a person), shared a few fun stories about him, chatted about their family and their kids. Then I was on my way, and she moved on to take care of the rest of my coworkers.
Sometimes the world teaches us that we should automatically dislike the people who come after us - the ones who “replace” us. But I don’t think anyone actually fills our shoes. I think they walk in wearing brand new ones. Because the point isn’t to fit into the space someone else once occupied. It’s to create something entirely new. Something better. To build a life that fits who you are now and what your partner needs.
And she did that for him. She came in and gave him the stability and love he deserved, and for that, I couldn’t be more grateful. He’s exactly where he wants to be - married, surrounded by kids (more than I could have handled, lol), and happy. He was an exceptionally good person, and he deserves that life. And from my brief meeting with her, she's an amazing person who deserves the same.
Walking away from that clinic, I felt something unexpected: peace. Not nostalgia. Not regret. Just gratitude - for who we were, for who we became, and for the quiet reassurance that being part of someone’s story doesn’t mean you’re meant to stay in it forever. Sometimes you’re just a chapter. And sometimes, that’s more than enough.


Comments