Bad Moms is True Moms...
I still remember watching Bad Moms for the first time, and honestly - I don’t know that anything has ever hit quite like that movie did.
It’s a comedy, sure. But underneath the humor, it captures so many of the invisible weights we carry every single day.
Being asked to bake something, donate something, organize something for school? Yep.
Watching friendships slowly drift because you’re stretched so thin that girls’ nights become a “maybe someday”? Yep.
Feeling your relationship with your partner shift from exciting and spontaneous to predictable… and sometimes a little lonely? Yep.
And the thing is - it’s not just a phase. It’s on repeat. Every day.
There’s a moment in Bad Moms where Kiki talks about fantasizing over getting into a minor car accident - just enough to land her in the hospital for a couple of weeks. The way she describes it - TV, Jell-O, people bringing her things, no responsibilities - it’s funny… but also painfully real.
Because it’s not about wanting something bad to happen. It’s about wanting permission to rest.
I think sometimes we feel like being honest means admitting that life isn’t good. But that’s not it at all. Life can be beautiful and full and still feel overwhelming. Both things can exist at the same time.
I try to explain this to my kids when they get frustrated with me for repeating myself. I tell them: sometimes my brain genuinely doesn’t remember that I already asked. I’m juggling my schedule, their schedules, our family calendar, work, appointments, practices, chores, pets - everything. It all stacks up.
And sometimes I’m moving so fast that I’m not fully listening. Sometimes there just isn’t room in my brain for one more piece of information.
So yeah… every now and then, the idea of a broken leg and a week of uninterrupted rest doesn’t sound completely terrible. (Kidding. Mostly.)
If you’re a mom reading this - can you relate? Or is there another movie that made you feel just as seen?
.jpg)


Comments