The Mark We Leave...

Today, we held a Mass at work in honor of a coach who recently passed.

He wasn’t just a coach - he was an extraordinary human being. A leader who knew everything about his players, who cared for them as if they were his own children. The kind of person who leaves a mark that doesn’t fade.

I asked a few of his players to share some words for a social media post. In the middle of their grief, they showed up - and what they wrote was powerful.

After 24 years in this profession, I still find myself in awe of the depth and eloquence of 18-year-olds. It’s easy to stereotype football players as just athletes - funny, energetic kids who love the game. But what came through in their words was something much deeper: love, respect, and a genuine connection to a man who changed their lives.

During the homily, Father said something I don’t think I’ll ever forget:

“How did he impact your life - and will people know by how you live it?”

That question hit differently.

When we think about the people who have shaped us, their legacy isn’t just in what they did - it’s in what we carry forward. It shows up in our actions, our words, and the way we choose to live each day.

Maybe today is a good day to reflect on the people who have left that kind of imprint on your heart. And maybe it’s also a good time to ask yourself: does my life reflect what they meant to me?

I know I have work to do there.

And maybe, just as importantly, today is a good day to tell the people in your life that you care about them. Not someday. Not when it’s too late.

Because funerals shouldn’t be the first time we say, “You made a difference in my life.”

We have the chance to say it now - while they’re still here.

Comments

Popular Posts