Life of Concerts…
Last night, my beautiful teen texted me:
Concerts have kind of become our thing to do together. We flew to LA to see Taylor Swift. She danced on stage with Train. We went to see Sombr in Milwaukee. Lolla announced their lineup this week and I was really hoping we could maybe make it happen.
I told her to let me worry about money - that’s my job, not hers.
But she replied, “No, I know… I’m just saying it’s fine. That’s like so much for tickets. I’d rather you save that and spend it on something else.”
And while I appreciate her thoughtfulness - and she’s not wrong that the medical bills are adding up - it also broke my heart a little.
Because she’s a great kid. She works hard. She saves for college. She never complains about having a job. And I hate that she even has to think this way sometimes… especially when so many of her friends don’t.
I am so proud of her work ethic, her awareness, her selflessness.
But if I’m being honest… I still wish I could just give her the world.
And yet, in the middle of that guilt, I read her text again and realize something:
I didn’t give her everything - but somehow, she became everything I hoped for.
We may not be millionaires…
…but I feel richer than anyone I know.
Maybe giving them the world isn't about what we can buy... but who they become along the way.



Comments